Gardenegg (Solanum melongena) is a fruit but an unusual kind of fruit, which at times is used for the preparation of stew.
GardenEgg or Eggplant is the fruit of the eggplant, Solanum melongena L., an annual herbaceous plant of the botanical family Solanaceae.
Eggplant varies from purple, yellow, green, red, to white in color. In shape, they come as oval, round or elongated like banana, or as small as an egg. Despite all these variations in shape and color, they still possess a common characteristic, that is, the whitish color of their flesh and seeds.
It is called IGBA among the Yoruba in the southwest Nigeria. Garden egg leaf, locally known as AKWUKWO ANARA and EFO IGBO in the Eastern and south western part of Nigeria is used in the preparation of vegetable soup and yam dishes.
Here are some Health benefits of Gardenegg/leaf you need to know.
- Gardenegg positively helps with heart problems and it helps to make the weight reduction diet successful.
- It help to lower eye pressure in people with glaucoma without side effect even with high consumption
- Vitamins present in gardenegg in reasonable amounts are vitamin C and B. Minerals are also not left out, as potassium, sulphur, calcium and iron are present in eggplant in significant amounts.
- Gardenegg provides the body with both fat soluble and water soluble vitamins which are rich in Thiamin(Vitamin B6) required for normal growth and proper functioning of the heart and nervous system.
- It also contains virtually no fat.
- Eating gardenegg is good at reducing blood cholesterol
- Gardenegg leaves can serve as a natural blood tonic in anaemic patient
- Gardenegg help prevent blood clots with the help of vitamin K and bioflavonoids, which strengthens the capillaries.
- Gardenegg is one of the anti-cancer fruit, as it contains rich amounts of phyto-chemicals. These substances known as phytochemicals, protects against the formation ofcancer.
- Eggplant as an effcetive laxative, helps stop constipation. This is due to its high vegetable fiber content which helps stimulate the flow of faeces down the colon.